Home Causes

Causes of Hair Loss in Women

There are many different causes of hair loss in women. One of the most common is androgenetic alopecia, which is commonly known as female pattern hair loss. This condition is caused by a combination of genetic predisposition and hormonal damage to the hairs in the scalp, causing thinning over time via a process called “hair miniaturization.” Unlike in men, this type of hair loss does not produce baldness in women, but it does cause thin hair in many different patterns.

Normally, hairs grow in stages or “phases.” Under normal circumstances at any given time, about 10% of the hairs on a person’s scalp are in the resting (telogen) phase. The remaining 90% of hairs are then in either the growth phase (anagen) or the short transition phase (catagen). In female pattern hair loss, this pattern is disrupted and the active growth phase of the hair cycle is shortened, causing weakening of the hair over time.

Lesser-Known Causes of Hair Loss in Women

Women may also suffer from hair loss due to a genetic sensitivity of the scalp hairs to male hormones such as testosterone and DHT. Women normally produce testosterone just like men, but in smaller amounts. In addition, the normal hair growth cycle in women may be altered by factors such as pregnancy, anemia and hormonal diseases. That is why it is very important to be seen by a hair loss specialist, in order to have the correct diagnosis made and the right treatment prescribed.

Although most hair loss in women is caused by female pattern hair loss, there are many other forms of hair loss. Sometimes lab work is ordered to find out the cause or contributing factors, as well as a scalp biopsy. These tests may pinpoint specific deficiencies that can be easily treated with medical treatments.

Let Dr. Barusco pinpoint the real reason for your hair loss.