Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Stromal Stem Cells (SVF) Procedure: PRP/SVF
EDUCATE YOURSELVES—Comparing Treatments in the Field
More and more doctors are beginning to talk about the latest trend in hair restoration: using Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Stromal Stem Cells (SVF) combined to regrow your hair in a PRP/SVF procedure. But before you sign up for this, you need to understand exactly what you are being offered.
This option is excellent for:
- Women and men with thinning hair issues
- Young adults
- People with burns, scars, or healing areas (the procedure increases blood flow to prepare the area for further treatments)
- Those individuals who may not be candidates for a transplant
At Tempus Hair Restoration, Our Patients Know the Score.
With lots of acronyms and different styles of marketing, it may be confusing to decide which type of treatment is best for you. At Tempus Hair Restoration, we take the time to explain your PRP/SVF procedure step-by-step. We know it’s important to understand what is what, since there are some “false claims” being made by other doctors.
The facts are:
- PRP is Platelet Rich Plasma. Platelets are NOT stem cells. Therefore, if you are having a PRP treatment, you are NOT receiving ANY stem cells.
- ACell is another commonly used product, used alone or in combination with PRP. ACell DOES NOT contain stem cells. The very definition of the ACell product (and the origin of its name) is that ALL CELLS ARE REMOVED from the pig tissue that the product is made of. Therefore, if you are having ACell treatment, you are NOT receiving ANY stem cells.
We Really Understand This Science—And Make Sure You Do, Too.
Here are some key things to remember about the PRP/SVF procedure:
- While fairly new to hair loss, stem cell therapy has been used for more than 10 years for the treatment of various diseases, from chronic wounds to joint pain, and even neurological diseases.
- A leading innovator in hair restoration procedures, Dr. Marco Barusco is one of the first hair restoration surgeons to bring a combination of PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) and Stromal Stem Cell (SVF) therapy to treat patients with hair loss.
- There are currently over 3,000 scientific articles in medical literature describing the benefits of stem cell therapy.
- We follow strict protocols and sterile procedures to safeguard your safety and to ensure that you get the best quality concentrate of PRP/SVF/Stem Cells.
Where are you getting the stem cells from?
Basically, there are three types of human stem cells: embryonic (which come from embryos), umbilical (obtained from the umbilical cord of a newborn baby) and adult stem cells. We ONLY utilize YOUR OWN adult stem cells—we don’t use embryonic or umbilical stem cells.
In adults, there are two reservoirs of mesenchymal stem cells: the bone marrow and the fat tissue. Bone marrow tissue is difficult and painful to obtain. However, fat tissue is easily obtained from the abdomen and/or the “love handles” and is very rich in stem cells, making fat tissue the ideal source for the PRP/SVF procedure.
The stem cells are removed as a mix of fat cells and stromal tissue (collagen, blood vessels, and other elements), hence the name Stromal Vascular Fraction (SVF). After removal, they are concentrated, purified, and given back to you on the same day during the procedure, right in our office.
The Tempus Hair Difference. KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.
Many other offices offer PRP treatments. The difference between our treatment and those of other practices are:
- Dr. Barusco personally researched this technology before bringing it to you.
- Our system delivers high density, large volume PRP. The most commonly used PRP systems on the market are designed to yield a very small volume of PRP (2 or 3 milliliters). This is enough to treat a joint or a sore muscle, but not to treat an entire scalp. Many practices combine the PRP with PPP (Poor Platelet Plasma), to obtain a larger volume, but the concentration of platelets per volume becomes very low. This accounts for the inconsistent results obtained with these treatments. For best results, you need a large concentration of platelets (at least 5x baseline blood levels) and enough volume to treat the entire scalp. This is exactly what our system delivers: high density, large volume PRP.
- The right equipment is key for successful treatment. Tempus has invested in the latest, most modern system to concentrate and produce high density, large volume PRP (high concentration of platelets and 7 to 10 milliliters of actual PRP, so no mixing with PPP is done), as well as high quality SVF and Stem Cells, with high viability and high cell counts. This greatly improves outcomes.
- Dr. Barusco performs the entire procedure himself. From the liposuction to the scalp injections, your hair treatment is performed by Dr. Barusco himself, although our staff assists him in the processing of the tissue. This is done under sterile conditions, which ensures your safety.
- We use state-of-the-art technology. Our technology allows us to scientifically quantify the number of stem cells we obtain after processing, and how many of those stem cells are actually viable (alive). This is extremely important. Otherwise, there is no way to know if you are getting quality cells.
- You get the results—and the proof. Dr. Barusco’s experience in hair research means he knows the best methods to quantify results. Using the most modern systems for tracking hair mass and hair thickness, you know for certain you are getting results you want.